‘The Graham Effect’ by Elle Kennedy brings in a new generation

“The Graham Effect” by Elle Kennedy. Photo by Amarha Bridger / Antelope Staff

bridgera@lopers.unk.edu

“The Graham Effect” by Elle Kennedy is a new adult romance spin-off book that follows the new generation of beloved characters from the Off-Campus and Briar U series.

I fell in love with the first two series and their characters, and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on Kennedy’s new book. The book follows Gigi Graham and her dreams of making the USA Olympic hockey team. To help her achieve this goal, she enlists the help of new Briar men’s hockey player Luke Ryder to help her improve a few skills. In exchange, Gigi talks up Ryder to her dad, Garrett Graham, a hockey legend, to get Ryder a spot coaching at Garrett’s hockey camp.

What started out as a friendly deal, quickly became much more. The more time Gigi and Ryder spend together, the more they are unable to deny their mind-spinning chemistry and growing feelings. With these growing feelings, obstacles begin to stand in their way. This includes Gigi’s ex-hockey player boyfriend who wants her back and Ryder’s poor first impression on his hero, Garrett Graham, who also happens to be Gigi’s dad. 

This book was so spectacular that I couldn’t put it down – literally. I finished this book in one sitting, and it was totally worth it. There was so much about this book that I loved, but my favorite had to have been the moments between Gigi and the characters from the other books. It felt like a coming home moment. In the other books, all of the characters are as close as family. I loved seeing their interactions with each other, even with the 20-plus years that have passed.

I also really enjoyed Gigi and Ryder’s relationship throughout the book. In comparison to the other couples’ stories in Kennedy’s books, including some heavy topics, it was a very lighthearted and drama-free relationship. 

In addition, it was also kind of cool to see the differences and similarities between the new and old generation. I felt that in “The Graham Effect” the new characters were a lot more mature than the characters in the Off-Campus and Briar U series were when they were that age.

One thing I didn’t like, however, was that there were so many side characters and main characters that it was overwhelming at times. There were so many different people and situations going on that it was hard to keep track of everybody. 

Overall, I give this book a five out of five and I recommend that everyone read this book. It’s full of humor, romance, and hockey. For warning, it’s got some spice to it. Elle Kennedy did not disappoint and I cannot wait for the next book.