Are trending lip products overhyped or worth the price?

Courtesy+Photo
Courtesy Photo

lawtm@lopers.unk.edu

Lip products have been rotating in and out like hotcakes.

I grew up always having lip balm in every bag I owned. When I was younger I had every flavor of Lip Smackers you could think of. I even had chapsticks in the shape of what they were supposed to taste like. I followed every trend throughout the years from Carmex, EOS eggs, Burts Bees and Glossier’s Balm Dotcom.

One of this year’s biggest beauty trends has been glossy lips. It is the perfect lip to pair with a glowy natural makeup look that has also been all the rave. The top three running the show are Laniege’s Lip Glowy Balm, Rhode’s Peptide Lip Treatment and Summer Fridays Lip Butter Balm. 

Each brand has its unique formula.  Laniege’s Lip Glowy Balm is a thicker consistency that coats your lips while making them look nice and glossy. I have only ever used the lip mask from Laniege and loved it. The lip mask version is in a small pot and to get the product out you dig your finger into a pot. It comes with a cute little spatula but is inconvenient to keep track of. The formula is made of a thicker consistency since it is a sleep mask. I keep the lip mask on my bedside table and coat it on my lips every night before bed. The glowy lip balm comes in different flavors with an extremely light tint of color. The flavors of this line are mostly for the smell and packaging more than the lip color. The lip balm comes in six flavors. 

Rhode Peptide Lip Treatment is a product of Hailey Bieber’s fairly new skincare brand. The lip treatment comes in four different shades and flavors. This is my roommate’s favorite. She says that Rhode is a lot thicker and lasts longer throughout the day in comparison to Summer Fridays. I will say it leaves her lips looking like a juicy glazed donut. What concerns me the most is that people have reported issues while using the lip treatment. Some users reported and shared on TikTok getting chemical reactions after wearing the lip treatment and being out in the sun, leaving their lips more chapped than when they first started using the product. 

Summer Fridays takes the cake for me. It has the most flavors and colors of the three. Unfortunately, it is the most expensive at $24 compared to Laniege at $19 and Rhode at $16. For being a lip balm, they also have the best color payoff. I own the cherry flavor and absolutely love it. It is not as much as an everyday lip because the red appears deeper on my lips than on my other friends. The flavor is so good that I want to eat it every time I apply it on my lips. It gives my lips the most moisture and the nostalgia of the delicious flavors I used to have as a kid. 

Even though I love it, it is overhyped. I don’t think it is fully worth the $24. It is a great lip product with great flavors and colors but Aquaphor will do the trick.