Sports management student brings skills to North Dakota State internship

Courtesy+Photo
Courtesy Photo

torresg@lopers.unk.edu

Among the football players who run the field with determination and skill, there are several people who work behind the scenes. One of those is Mallonee Biehl, a sports management major graduating in May and the former student director of football operations at UNK. 

She is spending her last semester as the recruiting intern for North Dakota State University. There she assists with their junior days which are unofficial visits that invited recruits attend. As an intern, she gets to evaluate prospects’ films and gets to have an input on if they belong in the program or not. 

Growing up, Biehl was always surrounded by sports. 

“Ever since I was a little girl I have always been involved in some sort of sport,” Biehl said. “Every season of the year I would be involved in something from softball, basketball, track and cheerleading. I can’t see myself not having sports in my life, so I thought ‘Why not just work in sports?’”

During her two and a half years with the UNK football team, she would work on getting travel arrangements set up, coordinating pregame and postgame meals and making travel lists. She also ran all of the social media platforms. 

Ryan Held, UNK head football coach, said he knew Biehl would be a good intern because of her hard work and dedication. 

“She made herself available and was reliable in her tasks assigned,” Held said. “Her hard work and dedication to wanting to help organize recruiting, travel and day-to-day operations for us showed me that she wants to be great.”

Biehl said she has learned so much with her internship at North Dakota State University as well as her time with UNK.

“Both programs have taught me things that will benefit me in my career and personal life as well,” Biehl said. “I am more than confident to walk into any new job that comes my way without fear of not knowing what to do.”

Scott Hoffman, senior lecturer in the Kinesiology and Sports Science Department and a former football coach at UNK, said Biehl is one of the best students he has worked with.

“In terms of focusing on her goals and willingness to do things needed to be successful in a college athletics team environment, having someone like Mallonee that is eager to learn the ins and outs of athletic administration and so some of the mundane jobs that are required is a big part of why I think she will have a great career in athletics,” Hoffman said.

Biehl nods to some of her mentors for her success.

“I thank Josh Lynn and his staff and Ryan Held and his coaching staff for allowing me to better myself in my career choice,” Biehl said. “They have made me an asset to the NDSU program with the knowledge I already knew coming in. They made me a better intern for this successful FCS division I football program.”

Biehl gave one piece of advice to women in sports. 

“For women in sports, don’t stress,” Biehl said. “We’re on the up right now.”

View Comments (1)