Sophomore breaks his own javelin record, UNK wins 12 events at Loper Invitational

herbeks@lopers.unk.edu

Another record has been broken for the UNK track and field team. Sophomore Rylan Basart shattered his own javelin school-record for the third time this year at Friday’s Loper Invitational at Kearney High.

Basart broke the long-standing school record set by his uncle, Darren Grauerholz, on March 30 with a throw of 212-9. He then threw 213-5 at Emporia State and broke his record again with a 233-11 toss on his final attempt. UNK dominated the javelin event, as freshman Wyatt Hammond finished in second place and senior Evan Prohaska in third.

In the other field events, senior Brayden Sorensen won the men’s high jump at 6-11.75 and sophomore Brianna Russell won the women’s at 5-6. UNK jumpers Clayton Kelly and Colby Spangler finished first in the long and triple jumps. Graduate student Alex Goracke continued his dominance in the hammer throw, winning with a sling of 195-4.

Kearney-native sophomore Lily Novacek let loose a season-best heave in the hammer throw, winning the event with a 183-5 throw.

On the track, senior sprinter Slayten Braun turned in a 11.95 second 100-meter dash to win the event. Her time is good for second-best in UNK history.

UNK had strong performances in the 400 hurdles on both the men’s and women’s sides. Senior Jack Drahota won with a time of 54.63 while sophomore Maeli Meier and senior Kyla Carlson finished one-and-two with times of 1:04.75 and 1:05.17.

Seniors Micah Swedberg (400 meters) and Brock Brass (100, 200 meters) both finished as runners-up.

UNK won 12 events and finished runner-up in 14 others. This was the second of three home meets for the outdoor season, with the final being the Loper Twilight scheduled for May 11 at Kearney High.

The Lopers have a busy week coming up, as they compete in three separate meets over the course of two days. The Alex Francis Classic in Hays, Kansas will be on Wednesday, April 24, while the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa and the Prairie Wolf Invite in Lincoln are set for Thursday, April 25.

The MIAA Outdoor Championships are on the horizon, starting on May 3 in Maryville, Missouri.

Visit The Antelope YouTube page for more content.