Finding my people: Four years of timeless friendships

Courtesy+Photo
Courtesy Photo

albersk@lopers.unk.edu

As a senior, I did not think four years of college would fly by so fast. College may seem like a short time but it was full of many experiences I won’t forget. Within the busy college life of lectures, notes, papers and projects, there was an element that made me forget about this stressful life – friendship. 

As I stepped onto campus my freshmen year, I knew no one and was fearful of the college life ahead. College isn’t just a journey of academics but is also a journey of finding yourself and your people. 

College friends are more than social companions; they are the ones who support you through the good and bad times. Whether it’s studying for a tough exam or worrying about life after graduation, I always had my friends there to support me and provide me with advice during setbacks. Their unwavering presence made the tough times seem more manageable and the good times more fun. 

Beyond the world of academics, friendships make the college experience better in a variety of ways. They share their insights, perspectives and skills, which they have shared and taught me. Hearing their thoughts and feelings has given me a new perspective. I have learned and tried new things that I wouldn’t have done prior to meeting my college friends. 

The people I have met through my collegiate years have helped me grow. They have challenged me to step outside of my comfort zone and pushed me to pursue what I love, without challenges standing in the way. Having my friends there to push me made me discover new strengths and realize that I can do more than what I am capable of. 

The friends you make in college stand the test of time. These connections turn into lifelong ones that offer support through life’s challenges. The memories created during late-night pizza orders, daily debriefs about our crazy jobs and unplanned adventures are memories I won’t forget when we go our separate ways. 

We live in a world surrounded by technology as people are always communicating through their phones. Even when my friends are working or studying I prefer seeing them in person rather than over the phone. Friendships are a break from the screens. Real connections are special and are something I hold near and dear to my heart. 

During college I have gotten caught up in the whirlwind of academics and forgot the importance of time I have with the people around me. Amidst the chaos, I feel it is important to take a step back for yourself and your friends. Spending time with those closest to you doesn’t need to be an extravagant outing. A simple movie night can be just as special and worth the while.

There are only so many memories that can be made in four short years. College is not only learning in a classroom, but you also learn the value of friendship. I am grateful for those  I have met along the way. My mother told me “You have friends for a reason, a season or a lifetime.” And because of college, I have made friendships and memories that will last me a lifetime.