Bringing Back Country: Students boot, scoot and boogie at second swing dancing event

Lopers sway along to the beat of the McKenzie JaLynn Band, an award-winning cover/garage band based out of Nebraska. Photo by Shelby Berglund / Antelope Staff

highj4@lopers.unk.edu

The Loper Programming and Activities Council held its second annual swing dancing event. Students were able to practice their skills not only with swing dancing, but line dancing as well. 

This event was headed by Jessica Bartlett and Aidan Weidner, co-chairs of LPAC’s entertainment committee.

The Student Union in the Ponderosa Room on Friday night provided plenty of space for students to let loose and have fun. Swing dancing began at 8 p.m. and lasted about two hours. Free drinks and snacks were also provided by LPAC. 

The McKenzie JaLynn Band from Lincoln returned to perform and entertain students as they swung and line danced the night away.

“Everyone really enjoyed McKenzie JaLynn at last years’ event so it only made sense to bring her back this year,” Weidner said. 

She sang many of her own original songs but also performed a few covers including “You Belong With Me” by Taylor Swift, which seemed to be a favorite among the students. 

There is only one other place in Kearney that offers line dancing but in order to get in, you have to be at least 21 years old. LPAC’s goal for this event was to provide a fun, free night of dancing for the younger students. 

At last year’s event, instructors were hired to teach students how to swing dance and also provided us with a few line dances as well. 

“LPAC wasn’t able to line up instructors this year,” Weidner said. “But we are definitely planning on bringing them back next year.” 

Even though there were no dance instructors, students were still able to learn a few new moves. 

“I learned a bunch of different line dances and the pretzel swing dance,” said freshman student Kami Weinberg. “It was fun and the music was great too.”

Swing dancing is a form of dance that has been around for decades and continues to be a popular activity among people of all ages. It can be a fun and unique way to get students active and moving.  

This event provided students with the nostalgia of going to a high school dance. Overall, LPAC’s second annual swing dancing event was a huge success and students will definitely be looking forward to this for years to come.