Stroll Off

Multicultural Greek Council hosts competition
Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. pose with their trophy. Photo by Shelby Berglund / Antelope Staff

lawtm@lopers.unk.edu

It has been four years since the 10th annual Stroll Off. Sigma Lambda Gamma took home gold in the return of the Multicultural Greek Council’s Stroll Off Competition on March 28. The MGC showcased creativity, rhythm and unity through step and stroll for the first time since 2020.  

Competitors displayed synchronization and originality skills through dance.

“The best part is honestly the energy that everybody brings,” said Brenda Rodriguez, sophomore and step captain of Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority Incorporated. “And the reactions from the crowd is probably my favorite part and just doing it with all your siblings and all your friends.” 

There were intentions of hosting a Stroll Off last year but MGC canceled it due to the passing of one of Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Incorporated’s own, Chinatsu Kunisada. A moment of silence was held at the start of the Stroll Off in her memory. 

The event also hosted a raffle for students’ to win one of three $20 gift cards. All of the proceeds went to the Loper pantry. 

The Stroll Off represents the unity between the members within a fraternity or sorority. 

“You can either make them up or we will learn strolls that have been around for a while,” said Manuel Ortega, sophomore member of the Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated.

A mix of three sororities and one fraternity competed in the Stroll Off. Members and their placements as follows: Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated, crowd favorite, Kappa Delta Chi Sorority Incorporated, third, Lambda Theta Nu Sorority Incorporated, second, and Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority Incorporated, first. Each team stepped out in coordinating outfits and with their best moves.   

The show was hosted by Mackenzie Welsh, president of Alpha Omicron Pi, and Albert Medel, member of Phi Delta Theta. Judges were Julie Campbell, faculty coordinator of Thompson Scholars Learning Community, Jennifer Harvey, director of Thompson Scholars, and Jake Jacobsen, senior lecturer in the Department of Communication. 

“I hand-picked judges that were faculty members that had some or very little connection with Multicultural Greek Life,” said Kelly Cabarcas, programming chair of the event. “Jen Harvey and Julia Campbell were recommended to me by multiple Thompson Scholars within Multicultural Greek Council.”

Each group was given seven to 10 minutes to perform while being judged and allotted points based on four different categories: wardrobe, synchronization, creativity/style and crowd favorite. 

Since it had been four years since the last Stroll Off, it was an introduction to stroll for a lot of students.

“It was really fun to watch and the energy was really good,” said Elizabeth Morrow, freshman member of Alpha Phi. “I didn’t really know what to expect.”

Photos by Shelby Berglund / Antelope Staff