Antelope causes damage to library after construction mishap

Photo by Antelope Staff

johnsonc293@lopers.unk.edu

A lone antelope caused major destruction in the Calvin T. Ryan Library due to a door being left open by a construction worker. 

The incident, which occurred during the early hours of Tuesday morning, caught everyone off guard. According to security footage, the antelope found its way onto campus before entering the library through an open door. Once inside, it proceeded to dart around the space, seemingly in a state of panic.

Billy Bob, a librarian at UNK, was the first to see the damage that was caused. When clocking into his morning shift just like any other day, he noticed the knocked down shelves, destroyed books and tables that were flipped over. 

“I couldn’t believe my eyes,” Bob said. “I immediately checked the security cameras, and it was like something out of a movie. Books flying everywhere and shelves falling like dominos. It was utter chaos.”

Fortunately, no one was injured during the ordeal, but the library sustained significant damage. University officials are now assessing the extent of the damage and working to restore the library as quickly as possible.

“We’re still trying to piece together exactly how this happened,” said JoJo Jones, a campus police officer. “But one thing’s for sure– we’ll be taking extra precautions to ensure that something like this doesn’t happen again.”

After reviewing the security footage several times, it is now clearly shown how this whole turn of events happened. After a long day of working on the original construction of the library, a worker appeared to have left the main door open after his shift.

“Whoops,” said the construction worker who was at fault. 

He requested that his name remain anonymous due to the embarrassment. 

The UNK library is now predicted to remain under construction until May of 2036 because of damages and unqualified construction workers. 

“It was an honest mistake!” the construction worker said. “I was distracted. I had my AirPods in and was listening to Ariana Grande so blame her not me. Closing the door just slipped my mind.” 

As for the antelope, its brief but memorable appearance on campus has left many wondering where it even came from and where it might have gone. 

DISCLAIMER: This story is a part of our annual April Fools’ issue, this story is not real. Happy April Fools’ Day!