Putnam’s Pub Picks ends with overall rankings

Birdies and Brews provides indoor golfing experiences yards from the bar. Photo provided by Kylie Schwab / Antelope Staff

putnamj@lopers.unk.edu

After four months of bar reviews, and ranking my favorite Christmas movies, I’ve decided to combine the two. It’s a list we’ll call Putnam’s Pub Picks.

This will be relatively difficult considering I’ve ranked nearly every bar five out of five Lopes. The truth is, I’m no Jonathan Gold. I’ve never written a negative review and doubt that I’m hardly capable of writing one. I’m indecisive and a frequent bar patron on the weekends, so I have no desire to burn bridges or offend any owners who I’m sure to see again any given Friday. What’s worse is these bars aren’t big franchises who I feel comfortable taking shots at. I have no desire for any publicity given to these small businesses to negatively impact prospective customers and threaten how these Kearney residents make a living.

As a critic, I don’t believe it’s my place to be the ultimate opinion on the value of a bar. I’m no more qualified than your uncle who spends Thanksgiving at his favorite bar. I have no bar-related expertise or education. I base my ratings off of four simple criteria that I believe matter to college students much like myself: atmosphere, aesthetic, cost and drinks. I’m not a smug or condescending critic who disregards contrary opinions. We may have two completely different tastes, and neither is right or wrong. The fact is these ratings are circumstantial. Personality, values and expectations determine whether a bar fits one’s criteria.

I’ve decided to challenge myself by ranking these bars. It’s a stretch from the feel-good reviews I am accustomed to writing. Unfortunately, I couldn’t rank every bar tied at first, as I am inclined to do. Please don’t feel offended if I ranked one of your favorite bars lower, as this list is a personal take. Don’t just take my word for it, though. I want to emphasize the value of making an opinion for yourself. Maybe some of the bars in this list will be a student favorite.

With that said, here are Putnam’s Pub Picks:

5. Best Assortment of Wines: The Cup

4. Best Exclusive Drinks: Gillies 

3. Best Value on Thursday: Thunderhead

2. Best Venue with Live Bands: The Other Side

1. Best Unique Offering: Birdies and Brews