‘The Breakfast Cart’ serves up vintage vibes 

By KOLTON MATUREY

ANTELOPE STAFF

This hole-in-the-wall restaurant was not what I was expecting. The Breakfast Cart is a small locally owned breakfast diner located within a small strip mall near Apple Market at 2524 First Ave.

When you first walk in it is clear just how small this restaurant is, housing three medium round tables and three smaller square tables. The decor matches that of a small farm house with a few paintings on the wall, dutch oven lids and other cute knick-knacks. The green walls give off a homey, vintage feeling. 

The menu is written on a large green chalkboard in white chalk. All of their menu items were noticeably fairly priced or even cheap, given the times.

This mom and pop shop is run by a bit older staff which only adds to the homestyle feeling. Our waitress was really kind and despite there being a good number of people in at the time, made sure to check in. 

There was no music playing, instead the conversations of the other patrons filled the space. This laughter and familiarity of them reminded me of my family’s reunions when I was a kid. 

Our waitress gave us our waters and fresh coffee first. The coffee was a nice medium roast blend with pretty standard flavor. It was not acidic and had a nice full body feeling when I would take a sip. Soon after, she returned for our order.

I got a standard plate of hash browns, two over easy eggs, a sausage patty and toast. Once the food hit our tables, I did not speak. I ate.

The hash browns were a nice medium cooked brown and crispy on top. My eggs were fried a little on the edges, which is how I like them. The toast was toasted lightly so as to not cause any burned edges to appear, though you could order it to be toasted more, and it was buttered nicely so it was soaked into the triangle cut bread. Finally, the sausage patty was probably my favorite part of the entire meal. The greasy and flavorful sausage patty was clearly a home recipe and made there in the restaurant. In all the diners I have ever eaten at, the Breakfast Cart has the best sausage patties. 

I will definitely be going back to breakfast. It is the perfect location to entertain family and friends for a nice breakfast or brunch while still getting that homestyle flavor away from home.