‘The Other Side’ transports bargoers to hidden treasure

The Other Side adds to nightlife On the Bricks with music, a dance floor, games and drinks. Photo provided by Kolton Maturey / Antelope Staff

JAKE PUTNAM

Antelope Staff

Pinball, skeeball, drinks and a stage welcome customers to The Other Side. This bar serves as a venue for Kearney nightlife, drinks, concerts and more.

Patron Beth Ruth is a fan of the music that The Other Side offers to Kearney residents.

“During the week you get a lot of good shows coming through going east and west,” Ruth said. “They actually get a lot of really good bands that wouldn’t normally come to a town this size.”

The Other Side is both a bar and a popular venue for hosting local bands, UNK Fraternity and Sorority Life functions and graduation receptions.

To find this tucked away business, bargoers can enter off of the downtown bricks into an unassuming brick building. Inside awaits a venue pulled right out of a movie set. 

The setting consists of brick and rustic wooden walls adorned with neon signs and a spray-painted logo. A pool table waits by the bar while a lowered dance floor provides ample room for dancing next to a raised stage. 

If customers venture upstairs, they will be greeted by a very personal, open room at its own separate bar. It’s what I would describe as a man cave on steroids. Friends can sit down at a wooden booth or play one of the many games aligning the walls, such as skeeball, pinball and darts. 

In addition, a patio on an outdoor balcony overlooks Downtown Kearney and the Museum of Nebraska Arts.

Bartender Mia Gerten-orne is used to the vibes at The Other Side’s, since she has worked there for three and a half years.

“I love the people, the people and customers,” Gerten-orne said. “It’s awesome to be able to work shows and see all the different bands that come through.”

Jordan Squiers appreciates what The Other Side offers patrons.

“I really like the people,” Squiers said. “The bartenders are always super nice. We like to come in here during happy hour after work. They’re just always inviting, good drink specials and good music. Give the local bars downtown a chance. The Bricks are where it’s at.”

“And tip your bartenders,” Ruth chimed in.