‘The Carillon’ allows writers to express ideas, be creative

pascholdhj@lopers.unk.edu

“The Carillon” is UNK’s yearly student published literary magazine sponsored by Sigma Tau Delta. Submissions are open to any UNK student, and this publication includes an array of genres: poetry, fiction, scholarly essays, art and photography. 

Writing is one of the most powerful pursuits one can employ. It allows anyone to express their hopes, dreams, fears, experiences, thoughts and ideas. Even so, many people find writing daunting. 

I have been promoting “The Carillon” for several years, as a writer and the 2022 Editor-In-Chief, and there are a few recurring reasons as to why people might not submit their writing. 

Some possible excuses are, “I don’t feel comfortable writing about my personal experiences,” or, “My stuff would never be good enough to publish.” And finally, “I don’t want people to judge me.” 

While these are all valid fears, the beauty of writing isn’t to be the best, but to share a bit of oneself with others. Writing about personal experiences is not required, but if they are used, readers can be empowered by them. 

“I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.” These words were written by Anne Frank in 1944. She was a terrified young girl who turned to writing to cope with the horrific atrocities she was facing. 

Writing is a tool that I’ve used in my own life to help share the hardships that I have trouble talking to other people about. It is a platform that allows people to express themselves in any way they wish. 

As I was tabling at the Blue Gold Showcase for the Carillon, I met who I thought was a stereotypical football player. It turns out that he writes poetry because writing allows him to share his most authentic self with the world.

No matter who the writer is or what they write, the editors of The Carillon would love to see submissions to carillonsubmissions@gmail.com by 11:59 p.m. on December 15, 2022. 

If students would like to try their hand at prose poetry, The Carillon also sponsors the Bellringer Competition with a $100 prize. Submissions are due by 11:59 PM on November 15. For more information on submission guidelines visit https://carillonsubmission.wixsite.com/the-carillon/project-01.