Taqueria Mary serves up burritos that are worth the drive

Taqueria Mary food truck. Photo provided by Alex Hammake / Antelope Staff

ALEX HAMMAKE

While it’s a bit of a drive, Taqueria Mary provides a great lunch for Lopers wanting their Taco Tuesday fix and looking to explore the thriving Kearney taco truck scene.

Located in the Southwest corner of the Advance Auto Parts parking lot at 506 E 25th Street, the brightly-colored trailer catches one’s eye when stuck at the adjacent stoplight.

When I arrived to the trailer near 2 o’clock, a group of three were waiting for their food, and another car picked up a delivery. Even in the middle of the afternoon, the trailer attracts a crowd whenever they are open.

Taking both cash and card, Taqueria Mary offers a simple menu of tacos, burritos, tortas and nacho options. I opted for the burrito, which took up half of the takeout container. 

I was especially appreciative of Taqueria Mary for leaving the lettuce, pico de gallo and sour cream on the side. Some restaurants will add those three ingredients to a burrito and fill up the burrito without putting as much meat, cheese, rice and other staples in the burrito

The burrito also came with a fork and two cups of salsa. I chose the spicier of the two options unknowingly. Topping the salsa on this burrito full of rice and meat created the ultimate explosion of flavor. It slammed my tongue with spice bite after bite. I suggest washing it all down with a refreshing glass bottle of Coca-Cola, Sprite or Jarritos to wrap up your meal.

Taqueria Mary also serves great tacos, quesadillas and more, so swing on over to this taco truck for lunch to break up the weekday lunch routine.