Breakfast joints that honor the most important meal of the day

Full+breakfast

By ALEX HAMMEKE &

hammekea@lopers.unk.edu

Starting off any school year can have a lot of different changes.

The first time away for most students, which also means being away from parents for the first time, and Lopers now move from proving themselves in the world of college and upper-level academia.

These changes have ripple effects down to Lopers finding their own breakfast sometimes.

Luckily, there’s multiple solid breakfast joints in town to feed one’s morning hunger that don’t truly get adequate recognition. 

Let’s dig in.

Tex’s Café

Walking up to this diner on the edge of Downtown Kearney has an almost movie-like feel. The sign hanging above the door, the memorabilia and the drinking glasses is a look into the breakfast diner scene. 

On the simple menu, it’s easy to add a sausage link or some bacon to the breakfast plate. The college student might be the youngest person there, but there’s always great conversation, and the coffee is hot.

Breakfast through and through, this hole-in-the-wall diner serves both breakfast and brunch options six days a week.  

Piñon Market

College is all about time management. Don’t let a good breakfast get squeezed out of the morning.

Occasionally, time doesn’t allow for a traditional breakfast, and the “easy way out” of a sugary pop tart appeals due to quick convenience. 

Piñon Market has some of the best breakfast burritos in town, offering many options for breakfast and lunch.

Browse their vast selection of authentic Hispanic cuisine and cooking staples. The market is also one of a select few locations in town to sell glass Coca-Cola.

Java Junction

At Java Junction, it’s simply stated that “Friends don’t let friends drink Folgers.” 

Java Junction’s theme pays homage to the railroad tracks just blocks away. This railroad caboose sells coffee, smoothies and ice cream and Central Nebraska’s version of Dole Whip. If summer vacation contained a trip to Disneyland or Walt Disney World and Lopers had the original, here’s a chance to have more without the long flight across the country.