The Batman: A backstory riddled with vengeance, violence

Batman
Batman

By MALLORY BRUNING
Antelope Staff

I remember munching on my popcorn frantically while watching this movie. Not only in awe, but in endless curiosity. With eerie camera shots, a serial killer-inspired villain, and the theme as Kurt Cobain’s “Something in the Way,” “The Batman” portrays the grittiest version of Batman yet. The plot follows a solemn Batman as he tries to uncover the slew of vicious murders exacted by the Riddler. It slowly builds up to a terrifying scheme that the Riddler has been meticulously planning. During Batman’s investigation, he interacts with refreshing versions of original characters like Detective James Gordon, Selina Kyle, Penguin and Alfred. I think this Batman movie is the best version to date because of the actors’ performances as well as the costumes and makeup.  

Arguably, the film triumphs because of its amazing list of actors. Although the movie is centered around the protagonist, I think its villain is the strongest character. Every time I saw the Riddler on screen, goosebumps broke over my skin, and I had a strong urge to look behind my back. Paul Dano executes a perfect portrayal of a psychopath: unfeeling and calculated. 

Another character that made the movie was Detective Gordon. Not only is Jeffery Wright a veteran in Hollywood, but he also represents people of color by playing a major role in a film franchise that is predominantly white. Wright depicts a realistic detective with his focus and commitment in solving the murders. I also liked his bromance that he had with Batman. 

Then, we have the man himself: Batman. No longer does Robert Pattinson have to be known as the sparkling vampire from Twilight; he has now earned himself a better title. I thoroughly enjoyed this sullen Batman because it shows the dark rage that the character has. From the merciless beat-downs to his animalistic screams during fights, Pattinson shows the hero’s humanity. The only complaint I have is that his portrayal of Bruce Wayne was lacking, and at some parts he seemed boring and distant.

I also can’t forget to mention the props, makeup, and costumes. As I said before, Riddler is my favorite character, partly because his costume is so original. The costume crew rightfully turned away from the comical question marks to an oversized army jacket and zodiac killer-influenced mask that gave me the creeps. Selina Kyle also sported a modern version of the Catwoman suit, but really made the character match the gritty theme with a rough burglar mask. Zoe Kravitz even grew out her nails to get “claws” for the role. When it comes to makeup, the most impressive character was Penguin. The handsome Colin Farrell is unrecognizable behind the scar-ridden face prosthetic and weight suit he was wearing. He really topped it off with his over-exaggerated Italian accent, which was comical at times, yet fitting. Finally, I think Batman wore an exceptional suit with matte black armor and a mask that really accentuated Pattinson’s razor-sharp jaw. Not only that, but the new Batmobile must be the coolest prop of the movie. The Batmobile is an unknown hybrid of vintage cars (maybe a Dodge Charger?) with all the gadgets that Batman is known for. One of my favorite scenes is the slow-motion shot of the Batmobile soaring over a wall of flames. 

Surprisingly, I could still write a million more words about this film. I would give this movie a four out of five Lopes. Not only is it successful because of its cast and artistic elements, but the plot and cinematography has so much to give. I only docked a Lope because of the half-baked version of Bruce Wayne and lack of Alfred scenes that I was expecting. Make sure to watch this movie so you can also see a surprise in the end credit scene.