Wind ensemble performs, competes

Allison Singh performing with the UNK Wind Ensemble

UNK Wind Ensemble makes return to Nebraska Bandmasters Association for first time since 2003

By IAN KAHLER

Along with a local performance on the UNK campus, for the first time since 2003, UNK’s Wind Ensemble is heading to the Nebraska Bandmasters Association Convention. 

The Nebraska Bandmasters Association Convention is where Nebraska’s best band groups come together to share their passions of music and performing. Ranging from high school to college level, music lovers from around the state are coming together to show their stuff.

Cole Chancellor, a business administration major with an emphasis in management, has been involved in the Wind Ensemble for an ongoing eleven semesters. 

“I was in band in high school, which is similar, but at a different level,” Chancellor said. “The ability to share music with others is my favorite part for sure.” 

The group had a performance on Feb. 27 but is heading to the Nebraska Bandmasters Association this weekend. 

“It’s an honor because a UNK band hasn’t been selected through a blind audition to play in this event since 2003,” Chancellor said.

Wind Ensemble is an audition only group on the UNK campus, consisting of 35-40 players. It provides the best wind literature available at the university level.

Breana Dobesh, a Biology education major, plays the clarinet. 

“Being a member of the Wind Ensemble is a wonderful opportunity, both personally and as a musician,” Dobesh said. “This is my third year in the ensemble and every year we are given more and more challenging pieces to play. Dr. Bierman believes that it’s important to continually challenge ourselves as it will help us grow and improve.”

Dobesh was involved in multiple music groups in high school as well. 

“I was in marching band, concert band, wind ensemble, choir, show choir and theatre. It was exhausting but so worth it.”

Chancellor is grateful for the opportunity for being involved in the ensemble and preparing for the performance.

“You spend so long working on the little things of the composition, you sometimes lose sight of the larger aspect of it” Chancellor said. “So when all the little things are together in the final essence of the piece is a new and rewarding experience. When we finish a performance we see ourselves within a new light and we can reach for even greater heights.”

The Nebraska Bandmasters Association Convention runs Feb. 28- Mar. 2.