Surviving finals week: steps for a healthy outlook this semester

whiteb3@lopers.unk.edu

Finals week – the academic tempest that sweeps through college campuses, leaving sleep-deprived students in its wake. As the semester comes to a close, the pressure intensifies, and stress becomes an unwelcome companion for many. However, surviving finals week without yielding to the overwhelming tide of anxiety is not only possible but imperative for maintaining overall well-being. Here are a few things to keep in mind this upcoming finals week:

1. Cultivate a mindful routine: In the midst of exam preparation chaos, establishing a mindful routine can be a lifesaver. Begin your day with a few minutes of mindfulness or meditation. Centering your thoughts before plunging into study sessions can help set a positive tone for the day. 
  2. Break down the material: The sheer volume of information to cover during finals week can be overwhelming. Instead of tackling everything at once, break down your study material into manageable chunks. Create a schedule that allocates specific time slots for different subjects or topics. This approach not only enhances focus but also prevents the feeling of being buried under an insurmountable mountain of information.
  3. Embrace the power of sleep: Contrary to the all-night cramming sessions that many students resort to, prioritizing sleep is a crucial element in combating stress. A well-rested mind is sharper, more focused and better equipped to retain information. Establish a sleep routine that allows for adequate rest, even during the intensity of finals week. 
  4. Nourish your body: In the rush to meet deadlines and prepare for exams, it’s easy to neglect basic self-care, including nutrition. Ensure that your body is fueled with healthy, energy-boosting foods. A well-nourished body supports a resilient mind.
  5. Embrace the pomodoro technique: The pomodoro technique, a time-management method, involves breaking study sessions into focused intervals separated by short breaks. This technique not only enhances concentration but also prevents burnout. By chunking your study time, you create a rhythm that promotes productivity without the sense of being overwhelmed.
  6. Seek academic support: If you find yourself struggling with certain concepts, don’t hesitate to seek academic support. Attend review sessions, meet with professors or teaching assistants and utilize resources such as tutoring services. 
  7. Emphasize progress, not perfection: It’s easy to get caught up in the pursuit of perfection during finals week. However, it’s crucial to shift the focus from perfection to progress. Acknowledge that no one knows everything, and it’s okay to have areas of uncertainty. Celebrate small victories and recognize that the journey of learning is just as important as the destination of exams.

In the midst of finals week, it’s essential to remember that self-care is not a luxury but a necessity. So, take a deep breath, tackle each challenge one step at a time and rock your finals.