Students should continue budget-cut conversation

Students joined the budget cut topic with protests and rally. Photo by Shelby Berglund / Antelope Staff

Signs in hand and chanting in unison, protestors made their voices heard last Monday in response to a draft of budget reduction proposals. Students, faculty, staff, alumni and community members spoke out on reasons why the humanities programs, including music, theater and language, should not be eliminated.

Continuing to voice their concerns, students questioned administrators about the budget at a forum that followed the protest.

We encourage students to continue to use their voices and advocate for their programs.

Effects of the final budget cuts will be felt by all of campus. Students want to know what cuts will mean for their programs, what finishing out their degree will look like or if their most influential professors will still be around when they graduate. It’s important that students share their perspectives to help make sure all aspects are considered.

Students offer a different perspective to the budget conversation that others most likely can’t – the perspective of firsthand experience. Students understand the importance of programs on the chopping block because they have reaped the benefits themselves.

Students should not be afraid to advocate for their programs. They can add to the conversation of how cuts will impact current and future students.

Final cuts have not been set in stone and changes to where cuts take place can still occur. The Faculty Advisory Committee and Budget Advisory Committee are currently reviewing the draft budget proposal. Their responses and suggestions are due back to the chancellor by Oct. 25.

We are happy to see so many people involved in giving input, such as those on the committees. Still, our team encourages students to stay informed and involved in what is happening. 

Students can do this by contacting their administration, either of the budget committees or the student government.

The administration is emphasizing that cuts have to be made. We appreciate everyone’s hard work in making sure the right decisions are made. But it is necessary for students to continue to join the conversation so our university experiences the least amount of harm as possible.