Romanticize your life: Self-care is not selfish, it’s necessary

whiteb3@lopers.unk.edu

Self-care is not selfish. In the hustle and bustle of your college life, it’s easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of classes, assignments and extracurricular activities. We often find ourselves chasing deadlines, juggling commitments and constantly striving for success. In the midst of this chaos, we sometimes forget the importance of taking a step back and romanticizing our lives – embracing the beauty in simplicity and the value of self-care.

Romanticizing life doesn’t mean living in a fairy tale or escaping from reality. It’s about finding the extraordinary in the ordinary, celebrating the little joys and taking time for us to recharge. In a world that often glorifies staying busy and achievement, it’s crucial to remember that you need to take time for yourself; it’s a necessary act of self-preservation.

After seeing the trend of “romanticizing” everything you do in your day-to-day life on TikTok, I started to really practice this. Hoping it would help my mental health, I wanted to see how you can make daily tasks more glorified than they really are. Simply just by making your breakfast or doing your skincare routine are little things that you can make feel like small celebrations in your day.

These seemingly mundane activities can transform into moments of self-care and self-appreciation. It’s not just a mundane task; it’s a ritual of self-love, a moment when you pamper yourself with care and kindness. This shift in perspective has not only enhanced my daily life but has also helped me recognize that self-care doesn’t have to be grand or time-consuming; it can be something small just added to your everyday routine.

Here are some reasons why romanticizing your life and prioritizing self-care can lead to a healthier and more fulfilling college experience:

Mental well-being

College life can be incredibly demanding, both academically and socially. Romanticizing your life allows you to create moments of mindfulness, reducing stress and anxiety. Take a walk through a park, savor your favorite book or indulge in a cup of tea – these small acts can have a profound impact on your mental well-being.

Creativity and inspiration 

When you take time for yourself, you open the door to creativity and inspiration. Whether it’s through art, music or simply daydreaming, allowing your mind to wander can lead to innovative ideas and a fresh perspective on your academic work.

Improved relationships 

When you prioritize self-care, you become better equipped to nurture your relationships with friends, family and peers. You’ll have more patience, empathy and understanding to offer, leading to stronger connections and a more harmonious social life.

Enhanced productivity

Taking breaks and embracing leisure can boost your productivity. Regularly stepping away from your work allows your brain to recharge, making you more focused and efficient when you return to your tasks.

Self-discovery

College is not just about academic growth; it’s also a time for self-discovery. When you romanticize your life, you become attuned to your own desires, passions and values. This self-awareness can guide you toward making choices that align with your authentic self.

So, how can you begin to romanticize your life and prioritize self-care in the midst of your busy schedule?

Schedule “me time”

Treat self-care as an appointment, just like any other commitment. Block off time in your calendar for activities that rejuvenate you and stick to it.

Unplug and reconnect

Put away your devices from time to time and immerse yourself in the world around you. Engage in face-to-face conversations, appreciate nature or immerse yourself in a hobby.

Practice gratitude

Consider the things in your life that you have and how grateful you are. By engaging in this easy technique, you may change your attention from what you lack to what you have in abundance.

Explore new experiences

Step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Whether it’s a new hobby, a different cuisine or a new route to class, embracing novelty can infuse excitement into your daily routine.

Taking time for yourself and finding joy in every day can lead to a more balanced, meaningful and enriching college experience. Remember to prioritize self-care and savor the beauty of life’s simple moments – you deserve it.

View Comments (1)