New generation of Lopers take over The Antelope staff

Archive+Photo
Archive Photo

Last May, five prominent figures from The Antelope team walked across the stage to receive their diplomas. As inevitable as it was, losing our graduating members still seemed hard to imagine. Getting used to no longer seeing them in the newsroom will be challenging. Yet, because of the legacy our previous leaders left behind, we are confident we will continue to thrive.

Looking into the new semester, our team is adapting to the change. While our leadership may be entering a new chapter, our purpose remains the same: to provide news to students and the community. As we get back into the swing of producing the newspaper, we wanted to update our readers on some of our current staff and help them get to know us a little better.

Entering his second semester as managing editor is Kolton Maturey, who’s been a part of The Antelope since the spring of 2022. Since joining, Maturey has helped in many areas of our newspaper including designing, photographing and reporting. In May, he will graduate with an advertising and public relations degree.

Alongside Maturey is Chris Terry, the assistant managing editor. Terry started as a video director with The Antelope in the spring of 2022 and started designing that fall. This semester, Terry will continue designing and helping out wherever needed. He will graduate in December with a multimedia degree and a sociology minor.

Jenna Heinz, a sophomore journalism major, is taking on a new position this year. Heinz first got involved as a reporter last fall. This semester she will be taking on the role of The Antelope’s news editor.

Traeton Harimon, our sports editor, is also new to his position this year. Harimon first got involved in the fall of 2022 and officially joined last spring. Throughout that time, he has served as a designer, sports reporter and now sports editor. Harimon will graduate in May 2024 with a sports communication degree and a media production minor.

Our photography editor is Shelby Berglund, a journalism and sports communication major. She started in the newspaper during her sophomore year as a reporter and took over as photography editor last spring. Berglund will graduate in May 2024.

The Antelope’s advertising is managed by Sami LaMarre. While new to the newspaper this semester, LaMarre brings experience from her involvement in AdPR club where she is president. She is also the vice president of programming for Panhellenic.

With over 15 members currently on staff, The Antelope takes a team to produce. As the start of the school year begins, we look forward to expanding our team and welcoming in new Lopers. If students are interested in joining, email Jenna Heinz at heinzj@lopers.unk.edu and Traeton Harimon at harimont@lopers.unk.edu.