We advocate for UNK students and First Amendment rights

The first publication of the Antelope Newspaper in 1910 lead to the decision of UNK’s mascot, the Loper.

The Antelope succeeds when readers comment on a story, when visitors leave with a paper in hand and when students point at the photo spread saying, “That’s me!”.

The Antelope is published for students, by students. This semester, we invite the rest of campus to actively participate in our publication.

The student newspaper strives to represent and advocate for the UNK student body.

We are not out to smear the good name of the University of Nebraska at Kearney. We report campus news, help student voices be heard and offer praise and criticism when needed. 

It’s important for our readers to understand the Antelope’s intentions before controversial topics arise. And they arise every semester.

In the past, university officials have contacted us in attempt to hold stories from publication. We have also received emails that outline what is and what is not “acceptable” for public discussion. 

But what gets published in the Antelope is up to the Antelope students — not the UNK faculty or staff. And ignoring important topics may lead to rumors and false information.

It would be unlawful for a school newspaper to be punished for speaking out. This is according to the Tinker standard established in 1969 by the Supreme Court vs. Des Moine Independent Community School District 393 U.S. 503.

According to the Student Press Law Center, there needs to be proof that the article, “would result in a material and substantial disruption of normal school activities” or “invades the rights of others”. Articles cannot be censored simply because they are “controversial”.

However, we must still be diligent and purposeful when exercising our First Amendment rights. As the Society of Professional Journalists puts it, we must seek truth and report it, act independently, minimize harm and be accountable and transparent.

Thankfully, UNK has not taken the Antelope to court — at least not in our time. 

We are grateful for the supportive faculty and staff members who send occasional encouraging emails or notes. We appreciate the willing UNK officials who pick up the phone when we call and those who carve time in their schedule for Antelope interviews.

Our goals are to connect with students and improve university life, starting with covering student government meetings and publishing guest columns.

UNK is our home, and we want campus to move forward.