Technology is changing the education system

Photo by Ryan Range Increased course loads as well as COVID-19 induced anxiety can contribute to student burnout.

Ever since the creation of the internet, technology has grown in all parts of society, including education. Now students carry laptops with them to classes and public schools are starting to provide laptops for students. Students use computers for taking notes, completing assignments and conducting research. The internet is helpful, but it shouldn’t be something students rely on too much.

Technology makes learning easier for many students. The internet is a vast expansion of knowledge open to everyone. It makes looking up information easier than having to find multiple books on a topic. With textbooks available online, students no longer have to carry multiple textbooks or run back to their room after each class to grab them. 

With the pandemic, Zoom became something students and teachers had to rely on to keep learning and teaching. Remote learning using Zoom helped increase the ways students can communicate with teachers and other students outside of the classroom.

There are a lot of benefits to students using technology, but there are also some downsides to it as well. When using the internet, any issues with the Wifi can create complications. 

The internet, as helpful as it is, can also be very distracting. Instead of taking notes during class students, could be shopping online, scrolling through memes or playing games. It can be hard to escape if the internet sucks you into its pool of distractions. Many have experienced clicking on one funny video and seem to lose track of time.

Technology is becoming an essential part to education, but it shouldn’t be overly relied on. The education system still needs to use the old-fashion paper/pencil methods of learning and not move away from it. Schools need to have a balance between these ways of learning. Both offer skills that are important to learn. By not teaching both of these forms, students miss out on the skills that each one offers. 

We can’t let go of what learning with paper and pencils can offer. Writing on paper helps young students understand how words are spelled and applied. 

When writing things down on paper, we have to take the time to process words because we don’t have spellcheck on a piece of paper. This helps us better comprehend the message we are trying to convey. 

Even though society has advanced, it doesn’t mean we should forget the simple strategies we used to get things done. Technology does lead us into the future, but it can make us lose touch with the past.