UNK study abroad faces challenges with ongoing pandemic

JORDYN RIPPE / UNK STUDENT The last study abroad trip to Ireland was cut short due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

romeroj3@lopers.unk.edu

The UNK Study Abroad program has offered UNK students exciting opportunities to travel to different countries and experience new places.

Over 700 different study abroad opportunities in over 30 countries are offered every year at UNK.

Many different countries have been visited by UNK students throughout the years. In 2019, Michelle Warren, a Spanish professor oversaw a faculty-led program to Spain. Students have also visited South Korea, Australia and the Czech Republic.

The study abroad program is broken down into four different categories. The types of opportunities offered are faculty-led, exchange, direct enrollment and a third-party provider. All of these programs can last from a few weeks up to a full term.

These different options offer UNK students flexibility when it comes to choosing the program that suits them the best. Additionally, the cost of studying abroad is similar to the cost of studying at UNK, and many scholarships are offered especially to study abroad students.

The UNK Study Abroad program had a couple of educational trips planned out for the school year 2020-21. All of the programs for fall of 2020 were canceled due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The cohort trips scheduled spring 2021 to the Czech Republic and Ireland were also canceled.

However, the cohort program that is traveling to Ireland this summer is waiting on a decision from the office on whether the trip will still take place. The deadline for this decision is March 1.

Even with the ongoing health crisis, the UNK Study Abroad office wants to expand and recruit more students for the future. On Feb. 22, they stationed a table at the Nebraskan Student Union to provide more information about the program to students. 

The program is hoping to have a regular school semester in fall 2021, and it is already offering help to students who are interested.