Blue-Gold game to close homecoming

Mackenzie Petersen (left) and Jacob Roth (right) stand as they get crowned as homecoming royalty

kramerkj@lopers.unk.edu

Homecoming week will look different this year since the 2020 UNK football season was canceled. However, the university still has events planned to celebrate another year on campus. 

“I am really confident that the students will work hard to make a great event,” said Tim Danube the associate director for the student union-activities organization. “The only concerns would not be able to have it and keeping everyone safe.” 

In previous years, homecoming week has been filled with events and celebrations to get the students excited about the big football game at the end of the week. This will be the first year in Danube’s career at UNK in which there will not be a homecoming football game. 

In the past, there have been competitions, such as the lip sync battle and the homecoming court crownings. Despite the COVID-19 related procedures, UNK is doing all they can to make the week feel special. 

“There are a lot of changes and updates regarding rules and expectations for the different events that we are learning about daily,” said Laila Sa’adi, the 2020 homecoming chair. “We will make sure to get the information changes out to students as fast as possible.” 

Homecoming week will be held from Oct. 5-9 with the week ending in a Blue and Gold football scrimmage on Oct. 10. 

“Since the MIAA ruled that we won’t be having a football season, the athletic department has been working hard to give athletes some form of competition this fall,” said Grant Buschkoetter, a senior punter and holder for UNK football. “While we won’t be having a real homecoming game, it will still be nice to celebrate homecoming with some football.”

UNK students are encouraged to be a part of the activities, support the teams and attend the scrimmage. If groups would still like to participate in the events they can contact any of the homecoming chairs or the Student Union office at (308) 865-8523.