Loper Distancing Days – Activities provide opportunities to socialize while social distancing

Men’s Hall residents went with a Hawaiian theme for the sidewalk chalk competition.

brownc4@lopers.unk.edu

Last weekend, students were welcomed back to UNK through outdoor activities on campus and at Yanney Park. Many students enjoyed themselves at these events.

“The Loper Distancing stuff has been really fun,” said Tristan Larson, a UNK student. “I feel like it’s provided a lot more fun activities for new students to do, like, more than we have done in the past.”

The weekend’s activities began Friday evening when students lit up the night with Glow Yoga led by Pat Philippi, yoga instructor and lecturer in the UNK Kinesiology and Sport Sciences Department.

Despite the unexpected spray of lawn sprinklers, Philippi was pleased with the turnout and enjoyed leading the group.

“It brings awareness that we do offer yoga here,” Philippi said. “Anybody can do it; you just have to have a flexible mind.”

There was another session of yoga north of the Nebraskan Student Union on Saturday morning.

“It’s good to get up on a Saturday and be outside,” said Lauren Benck, a participant in morning yoga.

The next Saturday event was Yanney Paddling, which involved Lopers paddle boarding at Yanney Park. Some students also partook in a game of catch, a walk, or socializing and enjoying the fresh air.

Afterward, students played nine holes of frisbee golf on the UNK campus for a chance to win prizes. This activity was arranged by the Loper Programming Activities Committee, along with other groups.

“We wanted to put on an event where students could get active and get out there while the weather is still nice,” said Kyra Miles, an LPAC member working the sign-in booth for Frisbee Golf.

The next Loper Distancing Days activity was the sidewalk chalk competition. Students got creative outside of the residence halls and showed their Loper spirit with fun and elaborate drawings on sidewalks around campus.

The sidewalk chalk competition provided students with the opportunity to interact with others in their residence halls.

Men’s Hall resident, Raven Stewart, enjoyed the chance to see some new faces.

“We’ve been having a lot of fun, and we’ve been making a lot of friends that we hadn’t talked to yet in our hall,” Stewart said. “I think everybody just came together.”

The weekend’s activities were wrapped up with one final activity called Rec ‘Round Campus. Students got their game on with Can Jam by the bell tower, cornhole at the fountain, and Spikeball at Foster Field.

Loper Distancing Days was a success and allowed students to enjoy the good weather, get to know one another and get into the UNK spirit as the fall semester begins.