Cherish the moments you have with your parents now more than ever

alexander+teten
alexander teten

ALEXANDER TETEN
tetensa@lopers.unk.edu

Right now, I can’t say that things are looking too bright for me, reader. As more and more news of the virus becomes available, I find it harder to keep up hope. The most recent news about COVID-19 is that it may be more dangerous to younger adults, such as myself, than initially thought.

A lot of people can say “I can’t afford to get Coronavirus,” but I absolutely can’t get it.

Nearly 10 years ago, my mother underwent surgery to remove a cancerous cell from her lung. She lost most of it and had to go through extensive therapy. Years later, she would have to undergo more surgery for new tumors elsewhere.

My mother cannot get the virus. Obviously, this is the worst-case scenario for me and my father.

My mother is now self-quarantined with my father to take care of her. They live in a pretty remote part of Riverdale with two neighboring houses. By “neighboring,” I mean a few acres away, so they can avoid contact with most people there. That being said, they can’t leave the house to get supplies and food, so as to not risk infection.

I have become the courier, the garage is the demilitarized zone, and my mission has never been more critical.

Saint Patrick’s Day is usually a great day for my family because of my direct Irish roots. However, it didn’t feel the same this year. After dropping off groceries into the garage-safezone, I went to the front window to see my parents.

There’s a feeling I can’t describe seeing my parents behind a windowpane with both parties concerned about a virus that could change our family forever. I take comfort in seeing them, and my feline companion, Katherine—or Kit-Kat, but something doesn’t feel right. It’s been this way for nearly four weeks.

It’s rough seeing your mother in tears behind a window, knowing you can’t hug her.

It’s been months since I last hugged my parents. I still deliver food to the garage. I’ve asked for extra hours at my job, so that I can help ease the financial burden. One plus side of working during a worldwide pandemic is an extra $2 per hour. On off days, when I’m not running out to Hy-Vee for groceries or pet food, I stay inside and play video games and watch movies. In my film class, we’re watching The Shining. Ironic. 

If you are with your parents during this quarantine, make sure to appreciate the time you’re spending with them. If you aren’t, make sure to check on them.