‘Always Be My Maybe’ may be perfect for midterm breaks

always be my maybe
always be my maybe

MADISON DIMMITT

Always Be My Maybe is a romantic comedy perfect for when you need a break from studying for midterms or writing that huge paper. It’s chocked full of lighthearted and awkward moments that will keep you engaged and laughing at just how relatable they are. Of course, this movie isn’t all laughs and includes the more difficult moments when growing up and being an adult.

The movie follows Sasha and Marcus, who used to be childhood best friends. They were briefly in a relationship when they were teenagers, before they had a falling out and didn’t speak for 16 years. They later meet again when Sasha returns to San Francisco to open another restaurant, as she’s a famous chef. Marcus still lives in the area, working with his father, and performing in a band. Thus, as adults, they live very different lives, which causes conflict between the two and propels the plot.

Much of this story revolves around food, family, friends, and how they bring the feeling of home, no matter where one is. 

This theme is shown throughout the film, with Marcus hanging on too tightly to his memories and Sasha wanting to travel to different cities to open restaurants. They both are set on different things, causing conflict throughout the movie. Towards the end, both Sasha and Marcus learn to step out of their comfort zones for what they cherish most.