Star Wars triumphantly Sky-walks away from saga

star wars poster

GRACE MCDONALD
mcdonaldge@lopers.unk.edu

First, we experienced the virtuous power of the light side. Next, we witnessed the rise of the dark side. Finally, after a long wait, generations have gathered to see the ultimate battle between the bloodlines of both sides in the Skywalker Saga finale, “Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker.” 

Admittedly, when “The Force Awakens” was released, I assumed that the storyline from the original films would be repeated and only slightly altered as a safe strategy to generate more revenue. However, “The Rise of Skywalker” decently ended the fascinating new plot and made the trilogy more than just anticipated cameos of Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford.

The plot begins when the conflicted Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) is led to the resurrected, Emperor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) who directs him to kill Rey (Daisy Ridley), who is training in the ways of a Jedi. Rey and her group of rebels seek out a Sith wayfinder to reach Exegol where Palpatine is concealing an armada of Star Destroyers. 

Throughout Rey’s journey, she struggles with the Force-bond between her and Kylo Ren and the desire to know who she is. Meanwhile, Kylo Ren is fighting an internal war with the regret of killing his father, Hans Solo (Harrison Ford), and the reminder of his prior identity, Ben Solo. That is as much as I can divulge without giving spoilers, otherwise the Lucas Hounds might bang down my door with their plastic lightsabers and intents to Force Choke me Darth Vader style.

Altogether, the final battle was as grand as the Star Wars fans expected it to be, but I found it annoying when new questions arose and were left unanswered by the time the credits scrolled across the screen. I understand that in order to keep the franchise going, the film creators left the possibility for more movies, but the dissatisfaction I felt afterward lingered caused me to perceive it as lazy writing. This is why I am giving “The Rise of Skywalker” three Lopers out of five. 

I would still encourage curious viewers to watch it. The last movie of the Skywalker Saga still contains heartbreak, meaning, and reason to cheer with the Rebel Alliance. When approaching this film, the best insight I can give was uttered by Luke when he wisely told Rey in “The Last Jedi,” “This is not going to go the way you think.”