Good heavens it’s Good Evans!

issue 1 spring

MADISON DIMMITT
dimmittmc@lopers.unk.edu

It’s commonly said that first impressions are incredibly important. Walking into the relatively new restaurant, Good Evans, the space seems to speak for itself. It does not disappoint. With rustic chic décor, a white, artificial daisy in a simple glass vase at each table, and incredibly friendly waitstaff, I was smitten.

The atmosphere was quiet until about halfway through the meal, when other customers arrived and were seated. Then, there was a comfortable buzz of conversation, without the restaurant being too loud.

The food lived up to expectations derived from the owners’ previous restaurant catering to breakfast and lunch, The Egg and I. I had The Persea Americana omelet, which was served with two sides (in my case toast and hash browns). It was a hearty and spicy entrée and, according to their menu, was made with egg whites, roasted chicken, diced green chiles, roasted tomato, onion, cheddar-jack cheese, topped 

with slices of avocado with salsa on the side. It was the perfect way to start the morning, and the price was comparable to other restaurants in the area.

Good Evans offers an assortment of breakfast and lunch foods. This includes a variety of omelets, benes, pancakes, and other options for breakfast. For lunch, they offer different types of salads, sandwiches, and brunch bowls. In addition to the main entrée, there are a whole slew of sides for breakfast and lunch. This includes but isn’t limited to bacon, hash browns, and sausage for breakfast and tater tots, soup, and salads for lunch.

What separates Good Evans from other similar brunch restaurants is that they offer espresso drinks in addition to regularly brewed coffee; all made from coffee beans that are ground in-house. Their café mocha was incredibly smooth and some of the best coffee I’ve had (and as a college student, I’ve drank my fair share). For their black coffee, they offer flavor options to add, such as vanilla, caramel, and hazelnut, and different types of milk options.

Good Evans is open from 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and has moved farther south, located at 1010 3rd Ave Unit F.