OMA officially changes name to ODI

Group from ODI poses for a picture

New name for office promotes current ideals

Within the last month UNK’s Office of Multicultural Affairs has changed their name to the Office of Student Diversity Inclusion to be more welcoming to all students on campus.

“This office was established in the 90’s, and at that time, the students we were working with were a part of the Office of Multicultural Affairs and International Education, so the office’s main goal was to bring more diversity, but it was more cultural, ethnic and race specific,” said Juan Guzman, the Director of ODI.

Now, ODI is home to even more diversity than in the past. “We are getting more diversity, more minorities, and it reflects on the student body,” Guzman said, “We are also working with other student organizations such as QSA, Sister to Sister, Social Justice League and we now have Define American and DANZA.”

Guzman says the office was changing to be more inclusive and the groups were celebrating even more diversity – such as gender. “For us to do a better job at giving the best services, we needed to change the name,” Guzman said. 

ODI gives a safe space to students from diverse backgrounds, they help raise cultural awareness on UNK’s campus and provide seven unique groups for students to get involved.

We want to continue to work with diversity issues and show that this is a home away from home for students and a safe place where they can come, be welcome and be themselves. -Juan Guzman

Included in ODI is Sister to Sister, Social Justice League, Define American, DANZA, Hispanic Student Association, Black Student Association and Queer Straight Alliance. On top of multiple student organizations, they also have an environment that is set up to help student succeed.

“We want students to know that we are welcoming of race and ethnicity,” Guzman said. “We want to continue to work with diversity issues and show that this is a home away from home for students and a safe place where they can come, be welcome and be themselves.”

ODI is going to start implementing even more educational events to encourage students to think about diversity on campus and in their lives. ODI wants to let them be able to learn about how important it is to acknowledge and know about diversity, especially in a future workspace.

“I always say that the students that come here, it is the best place and the best time to learn about diversity,” Guzman said. “They can make mistakes and we want to be here to help and educate because it is better to make the mistakes here, while they are learning, than when they are working and can get fired.”

Guzman wants all students to know they are welcome and encouraged to come and join the fun at ODI.