New International Students Arrive in UNK

issue 1 spring

Yejin Kang
    kangy5@lopers.unk.edu

This semester, 30 new international students arrived at UNK. Despite UNK’s noteable international student population, these students are far more than statistics. In the hopes of sharing a glimpse into the unique experience that is that of an international student, I interviewed one student from Brazil and one from South Korea.

Seohee Choi is a Senior advertising and public relations major.  She is a senior first semester from South Korea ㅡ Hanguk University of foreign studies. Her hometown is Busan, Republic of Korea.

Why did you decide to come to UNK?: “When I was looking at universities after I decide to study abroad, the website of UNK was cleaner and easier to find information than that of other universities. Also, I am interested in learning specifically about the public relations field than advertising in my major and there were many classes about that field.”

What was the first impression of UNK?: “When I first come here, I think here it is really cold and snowy and has a bigger tree than South Korea.”

What was the most surprising thing?: “I was surprised that there were just two taxies in Kearney.”

What is the most challenging thing at UNK?: “Transportation is a challenge for me. I took an off-campus class, the classroom was far, and that day was so cold, so I couldn’t walk there. So, I called the taxi, but I couldn’t get it. Not to go regardless of my will, it was hard for me.”

What is the best thing about UNK or the U.S.?: “People are nice and funny. Also, there are many international students aren’t native American, so it is more comfortable to communicate with them.”

What is the expectation of UNK in this semester?: “Learning more skill that I can’t learn from my home university and Improving myself. And make another journey for my future.”

Anna Julia Scortegagna Socal is a sophomore tourism management major from Brazil ㅡ Universidade Federal de Santa Maria. Santa Maria is her hometown as well.

Why did you decide to come to UNK?: “My home university and UNK have an agreement for the exchange program. So, when I was looking at all the possibilities, first I checked all universities and majors they had and what was significant to my part. And then I get in touch with UNK, they said they would accept me and encouraged me to apply. So, I came to UNK.”

What was the first impression of UNK?: “I was really impressed by how they organized to receive international students like New International Student Orientation. Leaders explained everything when I arrived, they helped me with a lot of things, there’s host structure to facilitate help for international students.”

What was the most surprising thing?: “I was surprised at the amount of assignment and amount of reading that I have to do each class. Even that is a small assignment, but in the whole thing, there are just a lot of things to do.”

What is the best thing about UNK or the U.S.?: “Reception. Everyone is so nice and so welcoming. All of them try to help me. Both staff in the international office and students and professors.”

What are your expectations at UNK this semester?: “I hope to develop English skill especially for academic writing. Also, I’d like to meet new people from the world and make friends.”