Look good, feel good: Dressing for myself grew my confidence

Courtesy+Photo
Courtesy Photo

healeye@lopers.unk.edu

I am a person who loves to wear stylish yet comfortable clothing. After many years of good and bad outfits, I can confidently say I’ve developed a good sense of style – a style that was inspired by Hannah Montana and has now been transformed by a love for the ‘80s and the ‘90s. 

I believe that a good day is paired with an even better outfit. I’ve had quite a few people comment on my outfits and say I looked dressed up that day. A lot of times, I’m not even trying to “dress up.” 

The best way I can explain why I dress the way I do every day is in one simple saying: look good, feel good.

When I wear clothes that suit the vibe I want to give off to other people, I’m able to discover an avenue to radiating goodness. I can display all of the beautiful parts of my being, personality and creative expression. I feel more motivated when I put on an outfit that makes me feel comfortable in my own skin. 

Looking good to feel good provides me the energy I need to get through a day of classes, homework, work and extracurriculars. Suddenly, I feel prepared to take on the day and all of its challenges. I really struggle to get up for 8 a.m. classes some days because I am not a morning person. If I wake up and put a cute outfit together, I feel a spark of energy to go out and accomplish my daily tasks. 

I am a self-conscious person. What tremendously helps me get out of that headspace is building a wardrobe I love and can wear each day. If I’m wearing something that makes me feel good, I don’t have to worry about how I will be perceived by others. In my mind, I will like the way I appear because it is in my control. I also like the idea that the possibilities of what I could wear are endless. 

In a pool of worries, it’s easier to make what you wear a stress-free decision. I find a lot of joy in playing my favorite songs and putting together a personalized “look good feel good” sphere of outfits. Because of my ‘80s and ‘90s music interest, this is where I pull most of my outfit inspiration each morning. I also find a lot of inspiration in seeing what other people wear. Sometimes this can give me the confidence to step out of my comfort zone and try something new. I love to mix and match items in my wardrobe; I allow my mind to formulate a sense of style that’s open and elusive. 

The most important thing I’ve learned about dressing to look good and feel good is to do it for myself and for no one else. As long as it is in my interest, the experience can be enjoyable for me and only me.