Breezeway forces students to find different routes to class

For now, students walk along the south lawn to get between the two buildings. Photo by Jenna Heinz / Antelope Staff

smithc4@lopers.unk.edu

The breezeway between the music and visual arts wings is under construction in the Fine Arts Building. This renovation project is one of the university’s campus infrastructure improvements projects, paid for by a deferred fund by UNK.

“It’s just renovating at this point,” said Derrick Burbul, chair of the UNK Art and Design Department. “There is some grander plan they have in the books, like filling space with a proper entryway, but that won’t happen anytime soon.”

The project was first bid in the summer with the plan to have the construction done during the summer months. Due to construction crew availability, the project was started at the beginning of the fall semester.

We many times have a general schedule in mind when we bid a project,” said Greg Christen, project manager for the university system. “But we have to react to the availability of the labor market when it comes to setting the actual construction schedule.”

Now, several repairs are underway to improve energy efficiency, building comfort and the ADA accessibility issues that were seen in the breezeway before. 

When the project is complete, you will notice better HVAC systems that will help with better temperature control, better sidewalk approaches and doorways to be more accessible, and new door and window systems,” Christen said. “That will create a more visually appealing and welcoming entryway to the Fine Arts Building.”

The visual arts wing is not affected by the construction physically. All the classrooms are available to use without a need to rearrange. One conflict that Burbul has seen is the flow and connectivity of the building. This is only a concern for students going through the walkway for classes, especially in the winter months.

“There’s no official word (of construction progress),” Burbul said. “But it looks like they already have some foundation poured, so they’re making progress.”

Renovations are expected to be completed in early December 2023.