Sharing culture, perspectives over good food

Students and faculty both enjoyed the back to school food. Courtesy Photo

The Black Student Association held a cookout on Aug. 30 for UNK students returning to campus. The event was held outside the Office of Intercultural Engagement and Leadership.

Esther Uma, the president of BSA, handled a lot of the background preparation. 

“I think it’s a really good event just to welcome back new students and old students,” Uma said. “I invited some faculty members, more specifically black faculty and staff members, just so they can know our black students here on campus.”

Uma also had a lot of assistance in making the event possible due to a full executive cabinet of students, including Avery Laing, one of BSA’s public relations executives.

“It’s exciting having freshmen come in so then we can have that new membership and new feel,” Laing said. “I’m excited to get the year started.” 

Marieane Cruz, a new student this fall, said the event was a wonderful experience for her.

“I’m having a lot of fun getting to know new people,” Cruz said. “I love the environment.” 

Throughout the cookout, there was food, music and conversation. The experience provided a space where students could destress from school, relax and have a great time. 

Uma’s overall hope for the event was that students would become more connected on campus.

“I feel like I just want us to be a tighter community, not only for mainly black students, but also for our allies too,” Uma said. “I think BSA is just to educate people about being black in America and anything that has to do with black culture.” 

BSA isn’t just for people who represent as black; anybody can join. The organization offers the opportunity to be involved, to educate oneself on black culture and to help black students feel seen on campus. 

BSA doesn’t just stop at this event, as they have a lot of goals for the future. This year, they hope to accomplish more community outreach. 

“I kind of have a goal for us to volunteer somewhere around Kearney,” Uma said.

BSA will have meetings every Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the IEL office. Everyone is welcome to join or attend upcoming events.