Bouncy house set to replace Cope Fountain

heinzj@lopers.unk.edu

Three years after its reconstruction, UNK’s Cope Fountain will be torn down. Demolition will begin in June, and the space will become home to a brand-new bouncy house. 

UNK Facilities sought the change in hopes of reducing costs.

“It is much more cost-efficient to replace Cope Fountain with a bouncy house,” said Joe King, the UNK Grounds Service Manager. “Running the fountain for a month costs $27 whereas running a bouncy house for 12 hours a day would only cost $19.84 a month. Saving money by making this replacement can help us make improvements to campus in other places.” 

Cope Fountain is off during the cold months of the year to prevent freezing pipes. King said the fountain is too much uptake for it to not be on year-round.

One student said the fountain and surrounding rocks look ugly during the cold months.

“During the winter, Cope Fountain sticks out like a sore thumb,” said Kay Oss, a junior health sciences major. “It’s depressing seeing the fountain off, and it really dampens my mood. Winter already kills off all the greenery, and when the fountain is turned off, it makes campus even duller.”

Apart from saving money, the fountain replacement was sought to make better use of the space. Cope Fountain, while decorative, offers little in comparison to the benefits of installing a campus bouncy house.

According to bouncyhousehealthbenefits.com, jumping in a bouncy house makes for a good workout for children and young adults. Bouncing in them for five minutes leaves jumpers with increased muscles, enhanced balance and strengthened cheekbones from smiling.

Arty Fischell, a UNK spokesperson, hopes the new addition will leave students with a little pep in their step.

“Whenever I look out my office window, students look like they are dragging,” said Fischel. “I understand that students can feel drained by the hecticness of college. Adding a bouncy house to campus will bring a little joy to our students’ days.”

The bouncy house is being designed by Custom Inflatables and will feature UNK blue and gold colors. It will also include a slide and an obstacle course.

The removal of Cope Fountain is expected to be done by the end of July so the bouncy house can be up in time for the start of the fall semester.

“I am thrilled that UNK is making this change now,” Oss said. “I am excited to come back to campus for my senior year and see the new bouncy house. UNK as a whole will have a more fun and lively atmosphere.”