Chancellors share plans for university system campaign

berglunds@lopers.unk.edu

On Nov. 18, a livestream was held with the University of Nebraska’s President, Ted Carter, along with chancellors from the Nebraska Universities where they discussed the Only in Nebraska campaign.

The goal of the campaign is to raise $3 billion for the Nebraska University system. Since it started in 2018, $1.68 billion has been raised by 112 donors.

“I’m confident we will do it, and I look forward to accomplishing these goals,” said UNK Chancellor Doug Kristensen in the livestream.

Each chancellor explained the ways they plan to improve their campus and how they plan to do so.

Carter introduced his top four goals of the campaign, including student support, research, innovation and enhancing faculty and partnerships. He mentioned that the university’s relationships with the community is second most important, below the students. Carter also said research and innovation could be used to solve some of the university’s most pressing problems. 

Kristensen was the next speaker where he listed his top priorities for UNK. His first one is offering more scholarships for students and making the UNK and UNMC rural health education building a reality. 

He also prioritizes the “library of the future” by expanding the Learning Commons, offering tutoring, success coaching and foreign language support, all for free. He also plans to create the Loper support performance network to focus on physical, mental and academic well-being for all student athletes. 

The third speaker was University of Nebraska of Omaha Chancellor Joanne Li. Her goals for this campaign include empowering students through higher education and improving social economic mobility. Increase faculty and scholarship opportunities for students and invest in support programs that focus on student health and wellness.

They will also prioritize renovations and expanding buildings and to bring a sense of belonging to anyone that comes to UNO.

The University of Nebraska Medical Center chancellor and executive vice president of the Nebraska System, Jeffrey Gold, was the fourth speaker. His top goal is to support students. 

UNMC’s priority in the campaign is to invest in technology and offer students the best training for educational experiences. The administrators also hope to enhance faculty, improve academic and clinical programs and expand facilities to meet health care facility needs.

The fifth speaker was University of Nebraska at Lincoln Chancellor Ronnie Green. UNL’s focus is on world class education for students, faculty, academic excellence, research and innovation. 

Their goal is to increase the number of scholarships for undergraduate students and provide fellowships and assistantships for graduate students. There is also a plan to invest in honors programs, internships, experiential learning, learning communities, collaborative research initiatives and global experiences. 

Bryan Hastings, President and CEO of the University of Nebraska Foundation, was the final speaker of the campaign. He wrapped up the livestream by thanking the volunteers and everyone that has helped them advance the campaign.