Officials release universitywide monkeypox precautions

Nebraska currently has less than 50 cases of monkeypox. Infographic from CDC.gov

willetsfi@lopers.unk.edu

UNK Student Affairs urged individuals in an email announcement to take preventive measures in case of an outbreak.

“UNK Student Health wants you to know the latest public safety information regarding the national monkeypox outbreak,” as stated in the email. “If you develop a flu-like illness, followed by a rash or skin lesions, please seek medical attention, particularly if you’ve traveled recently or had close contact with someone who has a confirmed case of monkeypox.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, monkeypox is a viral infection, which most commonly appears as symptoms such as fever, chills, cough and/or nasal congestion. Individuals may also develop a pimple or blister-like rash located near the hands, feet, chest, face or genitals. 

Monkeypox belongs to the same family as smallpox but is less severe. The virus is spread primarily through close or intimate contact including hugging, kissing and sexual relations.

Vaccinations were prioritized by many healthcare professionals during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, with limited monkeypox vaccines available, the CDC urges individuals to take preventive measures to limit the spread. 

Symptoms typically appear within three weeks of exposure with the illness lasting about two to three weeks. Monkeypox is transmissible from the time symptoms start until the rash has fully healed and a fresh layer of skin has formed.

The CDC urges individuals to avoid prolonged skin-to-skin contact with someone who has been infected with the virus. 

In addition, individuals are cautioned to avoid touching towels, bedding, cups and any other surfaces that have been used by those with the monkeypox virus. 

Students can schedule an appointment with UNK Student Health by calling (308) 865-8218. 

As written by the CDC, “Following the recommended prevention steps and getting vaccinated if you were exposed to monkeypox or are at higher risk of being exposed to monkeypox can help protect you and your community.”