Lopers finish indoor track season, transition to outdoors

Photo by Todd Rundstrom Lindsey Larabee soars through the air during one of his long jump attempts Friday afternoon during the Loper Indoor Invite track meet at Cushing Coliseum.

burdkl@lopers.unk.edu

The UNK track and field indoor season came to a close with a strong finish at the NCAA Division II Indoor Championships. Putting a stamp on the Lopers’ indoor season was Wes Ferguson, who brought home the National Championship in the 800-meter race, with a time of 1:50.05. Seth Simonson placed ninth in the event at 1:51.52.

Brayden Sorensen tied for seventh in the high jump, with a jump of 6-9 3/4. Finally, the distance medley relay team of Simonson, Micah Swedberg, Cole Willis and Luke Stuckey came in eighth at 9:41.41.

“The theme that I have seen is that there were more people walking away from the indoor season motivated for outdoors because of what they think they can still accomplish,” said track and field coach Brady Bonsall. “Opposed to being content with what they’ve already done, or as opposed to just being disappointed with how they did and being disengaged because of it.”

Prior to the NCAA Championships, the Loper men finished second at the 2022 MIAA Indoor Championships, while the women placed seventh. 

The men’s 97.5 team points was their best finish at an MIAA Championship meet.

“We entered the year wanting to perform better at the MIAA Championships,” Bonsall said. “Performing better could be winning the meet, it could be getting sixth or seventh in the meet. It’s more about us performing at the level that we’re capable of performing at.”

With their performance at the conference meet, the men qualified six athletes for the NCAA Indoor Championships.

Athletes who didn’t qualify for the NCAA Championships have about a month to reflect and prepare before their first outdoor meet.

“You get a little bit of a mental break,” Bonsall said. “But it’s your only time the entire second semester where it’s OK to go out and train, be tired and not worry about being rested and recovered to compete that weekend because you’ve got work to do.”

One characteristic that has stood out on the team is the bond and support that the athletes have for one another.

“I’ve definitely seen more people from one event group being really proactive about taking interest, encouraging and keeping sight of what people from other events are doing,” Bonsall said. “I’m seeing more of that this indoor season than I’ve seen in quite a while, so that’s pretty neat to see.”

The outdoor season will begin this weekend, as the Lopers will travel to Kansas to participate in the Emporia Relays this Friday and Saturday.