Corey Hoelck pursues NFL dreams at Nebraska pro day

Corey Hoelck blocks a defender in last year’s game against Washburn. – Photo by Yejin Kim

By GRANT TIGHE

tighegd@lopers.unk.edu 

UNK right tackle, Corey Hoelck, participated at Nebraska’s pro day on Tuesday. The former Loper team captain went through drills in front of 28 teams and 40 scouts. 

Hoelck is cherishing every moment of the incredible experience. 

“Every kid in elementary school when the teacher asks what you want to grow up to be — everyone says professional athlete,” Hoelck said. “Obviously, that’s not true for everyone, but when you write that down, you don’t know how hard it’s going to be.”

To be a participant in the pro day, Hoelck needed to have NFL scouts call on his behalf. Hoelck’s agent, David Glynn, and coach Josh Lynn looked at teams that have scouted him in the past and then contacted them to make sure that Hoelck could participate.

Hoelck has been a key piece in UNK’s rushing success the past few years. He has been a major contributor to the Lopers’ newfound rushing attack that broke a school record in 2019 with 4,135 yards.

“Some of our schemes we run meshes up really well with NFL teams,” Hoelck said. “The way we run inside zone and the way we block is pretty identical to a lot of NFL teams.”

Playing multiple positions on the offensive line in college has also helped Hoelck in this process. 

“Being able to practice tackle, guard and center in college has been really beneficial to me going into this process,” Hoelck said. “Just telling scouts that I can play different positions, I think that really helps me.”

Scouts watch events such as the 40-yard dash, bench press, vertical jump, three-cone drill, 20-yard shuttle and others at the NFL combine. Hoelck has been working out in Landow Performance in Denver, Colorado for the last 11 weeks to prepare for these events. 

“You want to PR in everything you do, I didn’t necessarily PR in everything,” Hoelck said. “The numbers I did hit though were everything were good marks for an offensive lineman… I’m happy overall with how it went and the feedback I got.”

Many Husker players and others from around the state participated in the pro day, which included Husker tight end, Austin Allen. Hoelck and Allen knew each other because of their close proximity during high school.

“He went to Aurora and I went to Giltner which is like 10 minutes apart,” Hoelck said. “Me and Austin have been friends since freshman and sophomore year in high school… it was just a good experience to be there with him. Two small kids from Hamilton County doing the same thing is just wild to think about.”

Hinwa Prince Allieu was the latest Loper to go pro as he signed as an undrafted free agent with the Atlanta Falcons in April 2020. Hoelck will now try to be the newest Loper to make the pros.

“It’s honestly a blessing and a privilege,” Hoelck said. “Just to step back and realize I’m performing in front of NFL scouts is incredible. It’s been one hell of an experience. It’s going to live with me forever.”