Candidates bring in new initiatives, honor Limbach/Larson

vote

Election day is finally here. 

The three teams up for the UNK Student Government positions are Emily Saadi and Zach Zavondy, Aiden Weidner and Olivia Koenig and Landon Seibert and Jocelyn Rauert. After a busy week of campaigning, all three teams are qualified and have great potential to represent the UNK student body. 

To make voting easier for our student readers, we decided to lay out the similarities and differences between the campaigns.

All three teams want to encourage campus pride, improve mental health resources, enhance campus renovations and promote diversity and equity. These similarities show that UNK students are aware of the prominent needs of campus. 

The pandemic caused student involvement to vary in activities, events and athletics. We are excited to see how the next leadership team consistently increases Loper Pride.

The Limbach/Larson team highlighted mental health as an issue, and we appreciate their efforts to make resources easily accessible. We hope the new candidates continue this attitude and plan to shorten the wait time for access to counseling resources.

As far as renovations, we hope that the incoming student government team establishes a clear communication line between students and officials for renovation projects, such as athletic facilities and the Calvin T. Ryan Library. We would love to see students help campus grow.

Lastly, the teams want to make campus a more welcoming and diverse place. UNK is already becoming a more accepting environment with new inclusion initiatives. The candidates want to accelerate these efforts.

Aside from the similarities, the candidates are set apart by a few campaign items. 

The Saadi/Zavondy team is focusing on modernization and transparency. The Weidner/Koenig team is pushing for campus affordability and parking improvements. And the Seibert/Rauert team wants to continue the Limbach/Larson efforts to expand the Antelope Bookstore with digital resources.

In fact, these incoming teams are honoring the legacy of past administrations in multiple ways.

In reference to our last editorial, Noah Limbach and Tristan Larson listened to students’ pleas for more parking after the cost tripled for sand volleyball courts. Due to these efforts, UNK is getting more parking where Otto Olsen once stood, along with the walking mall.

While battling against the pandemic, Max Beal and Trey Janicek pushed for new Fraternity and Sorority housing. They also advocated for cultural groups and students who wanted to personalize graduation attire.

In return, UNK officials honored the wishes of these student leaders for more parking, a modernized campus and increased inclusion.

Our fellow Lopers are working behind the scenes with students’ best interest at heart.

As the torch is passed, we encourage students to vote via the emailed link. Voting starts today and ends at 5:30 p.m. March 3. Best of luck to the candidates, and thank you to the Limbach/Larson team and the UNK officials for their continued support.