Black History Month: Celebration highlights Black Americans, honors culture

KOSUKE YOSHII / ANTELOPE STAFF The Black Student Association commemorates Black culture, stories and history.

hasetsua2@lopers.unk.edu

The Black History Month Celebration was held at Nebraskan Student Union Ponderosa Room from 6-10 p.m. Feb. 15. The celebration was hosted by the Black Student Association and sponsored by the Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion.

The celebration kicked off with Isaiah Mahone, BSA president, reading the proclamation on National Black History Month.

“Each February, National Black History Month serves as both a celebration and a powerful reminder that Black history is American history, Black culture is American culture and Black stories are essential to the ongoing story of America,” Mahone said. “Shining a light on Black history today is as important to understanding ourselves and growing stronger as a nation as it has ever been. 

“That is why it is essential that we take time to celebrate the immeasurable contributions of Black Americans, honor the legacies and achievements of generations past, reckon with centuries of injustice and confront those injustices that still fester today,” Mahone said.

BSA members then performed “Lift Every Voice and Sing” by James Weldon Johnson and J. Rosamond Johnson.

The Black History Month Celebration offered raffles for prizes such as speakers, t-shirts and puzzles. Drinks and food such as wings, fruit and cheese were served.

Sharon Obasi, associate professor and the family science director of research integrity, closed the event with a speech.

Obasi spoke about how blacks, Africans and people of color experience disproportionate mental health inequality and increase their risk of poor health.

“You don’t make progress by standing on the sidelines, whimpering and complaining,” Obasi said. “You make progress by implementing ideas.”