UNK hosts annual spring student organization fair

MARIA KLINGELHOEFER / ANTELOPE STAFF Students participated in this year’s fair in the Nebraskan Student Union due to weather.

klingelhoeferme@lopers.unk.edu

UNK Student Government hosted the annual Spring Student Organization Fair last week. The fair featured 36 booths of both on and off-campus student organizations.

This event aimed to capture the attention of spring transfer students or those who missed initial opportunities to get involved. 

“This year felt a lot more casual compared to last year,” said Hayden Nelson, a senior member of Delta Tau Delta. “Last year, we didn’t know where we were going to be or what [COVID] requirements we were going to have, but this year was a lot less firm.”

At the event, social distancing and masks were encouraged and tables were 6 feet apart. Due to the space limitations within the Nebraskan Student Union, student government also changed the normal single day event to three days. 

The event was meant to take place outside at the Cope Fountain, but it was moved inside due to weather.

“The biggest difference is there’s a lot more people,” said Elisabeth Pynn-Himmelman, Pastor at Campus Lutheran. “With the event being held multiple days, students could easily attend the days that worked for them.”  

If students missed this spring’s fair, they can visit UNK’s student engagement website at https://www.unk.edu/offices/student_life/  for links to registered student organizations. 

Most organizations recruit throughout the year, so students still have an opportunity to sign up. 

“Overall, this was a better environment,” said Jill Smith, a junior advertising and public relations major. “More people are always here or at least walking through the student union.”

Student government plans the Student Organization Fair early in the year, so organizations have enough time to sign up. To register, organizations can visit the Student Engagement Office or visit Presence, UNK’s online platform for student organizations.