UNK’s 4th Annual Drag Showcase highlights LGBTQ community

Photo by Kylie Schwab Students danced while social distancing during the Drag Showcase.

lofshulthj@lopers.unk.edu

Music shook the room as UNK’s 4th Annual Drag Showcase began Wednesday. Stars took to the stage as LGBT History Month concluded in style.

The event interested many students, including many who were seeing a drag show for the first time.

“Me and my friends came in, and I decided to stay because I’ve never been to a drag show before, and it looks like a lot of fun,” said Alexis Lavene, a freshman at UNK.

Seven performers were featured at the showcase, including Dale Tucker, Morgana LeFay, Ryder Long, Autumn Summers, Sterling Red-Rose, Anita Lotacox and Treasure Rose. Barbara Love-Sanchez, a Nebraska native, hosted the event. Each entertainer is a professional in their work.

The showcase was hosted by UNK Student Diversity & Inclusion, which, according to their webpage, is an organization committed to “provid[ing] a safe zone for LGBTQIA+ people so that they may feel free to be themselves, safe from the threat of harassment.”

Each entertainer lip-synced to a song of their choice while performing choreography. 

The night was filled with carefree fun, but also brought to light many topics surrounding the LGBTQIA+ community.

Audio clips of newsreels relaying stories relating to the LGBTQIA+ community played before Lady Gaga’s “Born this Way” and Carrie Underwood’s “Love Wins.” Music was provided by K-Town Sound with DJ Joey.

Subjects included the Orlando shooting as well as the ban on transgender individuals from serving in the United States military. They also included the legalization of same-sex marriage and anti-discrimination laws.

Several safety precautions were taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Chairs were set up 6 feet apart and everyone was required to wear masks, with the exception of the performers. 

Performers were allowed to enter the audience, but audience members could hold up their hand if they did not wish for the entertainers to get close. 

“Pride is not only a month, not only a week, not only a day, it’s every single day,” said Luis Olivas, the Assistant Director of UNK Student Diversity & Inclusion. “You are loved, you are affirmed, you matter.”