Construction sights signify campus growth

Gates and cones have been placed by the health and sports center to begin construction.

Kramerkj@lopers.unk.edu

More construction is underway as UNK continues to make additions to the campus. UNK has struck dirt on the south end of campus along Highway 30. 

The construction site stretches from the practice field to Warner Hall.

“UNK has begun work on two construction projects: extension of campus perimeter walk, and a medium voltage electrical feeder,” said Jon Watts, vice chancellor for business and finance. “Campus perimeter walk concrete will begin being poured in the coming days.” 

The campus perimeter walk replaces the sidewalk removed by NDOT road work as part of the College Curves highway improvement. It will tie into the new walk southeast of Warner Hall, extend around the curve south of Bruner Hall and continue to the southwest of Thomas Hall. 

“The design of this walk follows the landscape master plan standard for a 12-foot perimeter walk that welcomes pedestrians and bicycles. This portion of the walk extends the fence around the curve to the south of Bruner,” Watts said.

“The new sidewalk will make it easier for pedestrians to commute to class safely and more efficiently,” said Max Beal, student body president and a senior at UNK. “Obviously a lot of people live off to the south of campus. Any sidewalk put on that side is going to serve a lot of people.”

The other construction project under way is the addition of a medium voltage electrical feeder. The site layout for this project is complete and early work includes closure of parking along 15th Avenue, north of Payne Bridge. The new electrical feeder will provide redundant electrical capacity to the west main campus. In addition, it will connect Village Flats and Plambeck Center to the campus grid.

A 4-foot trench is needed to install the concrete duct bank. Site fencing will be installed around those open portions of the project. Fencing will be set as needed and removed when a section is completed. 

“It used to be that everything was on one side of campus, but now that we have the STEM building and Village Flats over at the University Village, they’re hoping to have more things put in soon,” Beal said. “While it is a temporary eyesore, it signifies that campus is healthy and growing.” 

UNK is coordinating with the City of Kearney. Campus officials are aware there are times that hike-bike trail users will want to use the trail and will be re-directed. 

Future construction projects will be the demolition of Otto Olsen and Conrad Hall, tennis courts in University Village and new housing facilities for fraternity and sorority life.