In the midst of confusion, remember those in need

student cartoon by Grace McDonald

ANTELOPE EDITORIAL

One thing I have always loved about the Midwest is our ability to band together in a time of crisis. At this time last year, every community in Nebraska was doing all that they can to help with flood relief and raise money to help those in need. It truly made me proud to be a Nebraskan.

During the flood disaster from last spring, even those communities that were not impacted took the time to donate food or house those who lost their homes. It seems to me that COVID-19 has done the exact opposite.

Instead of people being sympathetic for those affected, I’ve noticed that many people focus only on how it has affected them personally. I understand that this is a big change for everyone and that can be difficult to process, but it is still important to think about those who are sick and dying. Even though plans have been disrupted, empathy towards our sick neighbors is needed in this time of crisis. 

Concerned civilians can do their part by being informed and using the media to stay updated. Acting out of fear can have a negative impact, so it is important to stay calm. People should call a medical professional if they are worried about their health.

Many of the supplies that Americans believe they need during this time are not necessary. Precautionary materials like surgical masks and gloves are not required but are there to make others feel more protected. Washing hands thoroughly and frequently is always a good thing. 

This also includes the panic at grocery stores. Instead of emptying the shelves of hand sanitizer and bleach, consumers should take what they will realistically need. That way, more people can have access to the supplies.

Even though some stores are getting chaotic, it is important to not lose the sense of seriousness that surrounds COVID-19.If it is possible that someone has been infected, quarantine is the go-to precautionary measure. The method is used to prevent the virus from spreading as quickly as it has.

The nebulous future surrounding COVID-19 is partially tied to studies that suggest there could be an incubation period of up to 24 days. This means that even though people may not show symptoms, there is still a possibility that they could spread the virus. These are just a few basic facts about COVID-19, though it is still encouraged for people to continue to do research using reliable sources. 

Although it is easy to get sucked into personal problems, there are people who have been directly affected by the virus. 

Mass hysteria, false information, and memes that refer to COVID-19 as the “boomer remover” or a “spicy flu” are not ways that the pandemic should be handled. 

Instead, be open to sources that understand the gravity and reality of the disease.Staying sanitized and thinking of others is what is needed in this time of uncertainty. 

In the meantime, UNK students should tend to their healthcare needs and stay safe.