Beal, Janicek take ticket in election

BRAYDON CONELL
conellbt@lopers.unk.edu

The results of the 2020 UNK Student Government Election were announced to a crowd of students, staff and faculty anxiously awaiting the outcome in the atrium of the Nebraskan Student Union. 

This year’s overall voting count was the second highest turnout in the history of Student Government. In this election, 1,651 students voted compared to 1,169 students in 2019 and 1,377 students in 2018. 

Similar to past election cycles, two sets of students chose to run for student body president and vice president. 

The first option, and the victors of the election, was Max Beal, a junior business administration finance major, and Trey Janicek, a junior agricultural business major. 

Beal and Janicek ran on the slogan of “Your Voice. Your Choice.” Key elements of their platform included increasing student government transparency, pursuing library renovations, establishing a connection between Brewed Awakening and Sodexo, and building upon the Kent – Schultis NU Advocacy Group. 

Purposed members of their cabinet included Adrian Gomez, Olivia Slater, Kosuke Toshii, and Ashly Helfrich. 

The second group of students was Makenzie Petersen and Reid Bednar who ran on the slogan “Putting the You back in UNK.” 

A new policy initiative the two hoped to start up if elected to office was the creation of Mental Health Mondays to start the conversation and end the stigma on mental health here at UNK. 

Other highlights from their platform included advocating for the reduction of general studies requirements from 45 hours to 30 hours, participating in the meal plan overhaul with Sodexo, crafting a housing master plan and getting UNK on the map. 

For the presidential ticket, 1,651 votes were cast. Beal – Janicek received 905 votes while Petersen – Bednar fell short with 703 votes. 

In addition to the election for student body president and vice president, UNK students also voted on funding and constitutional amendments. 

As in past elections, the UPFF funding issue passed with overwhelming support. 

Two constitutional amendments were also considered in this election. Students first considered a change that would require the president to have an executive cabinet of appointed individuals that are approved by the Rules & Ethics Committee and confirmed by a two-thirds vote of the Senate. 

The second proposed change involved requiring the sitting president to attend all Board of Regents meetings unless written notice of absence is given to the Senate. 

Both of these constitutional amendments were approved. 

Senate positions in the College of Arts and Sciences, Business and Technology, and Education were also filled. 

Two seats remain unfilled for the College of Education. Interested students may fill out an application with student government and be elected from the floor after consideration from a committee and an interview process.