Why students have been skipping the campus gym

antelope-issue-4
antelope-issue-4

MARIANA CHAVEZ

They say the best things in life are free. Or, in our case, small fees that we don’t see because they are included in our tuition. Well, “they” probably have never experienced the 3 o’ clock rush hour at the campus rec. Monday through Friday. It’s like clock work, no cardio machines are free, no weights on the racks, no space to stretch. 

This past summer I packed my gym bag and bid farewell to the campus rec. and my gym crush. It was like leaving the nest one more time, there were so many new gyms to explore. With more than 15 gyms in town I was bound to find my perfect match. 

The rec. has amazing equipment but it can only house so many students at once and the hours don’t always work out with our crazy class schedules despite it being a college gym. 

Why leave the rec. when it’s already paid for? Sometimes you need a different environment to workout in, one that fits your personality best. Kearney has various gyms that you could become a member at even if you’re on a budget! 

There is a gym for just about everyone in Kearney. Gyms like CHI Health Wellness center, YMC and Anytime fitness offer special student rates. For those who need a 24 hr. gym, there are options like Body by Steel, Fitness 101, Anytime Fitness and Ironside Gym. 

A handful of these gyms also offer other other services beside the classic weights and treadmills, like walking pools, tanning, personal training and hydro massages. 

Recently, the City of Kearney has welcomed Planet Fitness to its list of several gyms. While no special student rates are offered,  the gym tends to have great promotions going on such as 25 cent sign up fee and $10 monthly membership. They offer a handful of great services with their Black Card membership. 

It may be overwhelming to start a new gym and leaving the old rec. behind, but Spring Break is around the corner and those Spring Breakers are about to want to get their Beach Bods ready and take over the gym. My advice would be to check out other great facilities that Kearney has to offer. You never know, you may end up finding your perfect match.