Student discounts, an upside to college students

issue 3 cover

MARIANA CHAVEZ TALAVERA
chavezmg@lopers.unk.edu

There are a few things in college we can’t avoid, the urge to go out on a Tuesday night,
meeting with an advisor and being a broke college student. Maybe that can change
maybe there’s a way to save some pocket change.
Did you know there are ways to not be as broke while being a college student? Ever
heard of a AAA, Senior Citizen or Militarily Discount? What about a student
discount? Yes, we can get special deals just by being students.
Some local businesses in town have been generous enough to cut college students a
break by offering special discounts and deals when a Student ID is presented.
Hy-Vee offers 5% off any purchase with a Student ID. Pump and Pantry stores offer 5¢
off the gallon. 
Kearney Cinema 8 offers movie tickets for $8.29 in the evening with a student ID,
compared to a regular adult ticket which has a value of $9.75. 
Gyms such as the YMCA in Kearney offer a young adult rate’s, the Wellness Center at
CHI Health has a special rate for college students and Anytime fitness also has a
special deal where students can sign-up without and get the sign-up fee waived.
It’s not just locally where students can use their ID to save a little pocket change, there
are websites like UNiDays and Student Bean that have partnered with clothing brands,
coffee shops and restaurants to all to save you some money.   
Why pay full price for subscription services when you can receive up to 50% when you
sign up for Amazon Prime with your student ID. Hulu offers a 3-month free trial bundle
package with Spotify Premium; both services cost more than seven dollars a month
making that more than a $50 value free for three months. Another streaming service
Apple Music, also has a 50% discount for students cutting the price from $9.99 to $4.99.
The list of discounts goes on. As a college student you can enjoy the finer things in life
and not go as broke while doing so. We don’t have to wait to be Senior Citizens to enjoy
or 5% off discounts.