How to celebrate for the perfect Galentine’s Day

Many local businesses market off of Valentine’s Day through cards, gifts and dates.

OLIVIA RASH

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner and everyone rushing to pick the perfect gift for their significant other, remember ladies to take a breath and take the time to remind the lady friends in your life how much they mean to you.

Galentines Day began after a 2010 episode of Parks and Recreation, when character Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) created a holiday to celebrate the joys of female friendship. Each year on February 13: Valentine’s Day-eve. The day was invented to celebrate the platonic love that exists among ladyfriends. As Leslie explained it in the episode: “Every February 13, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.” The rest is history.

Fast forward a decade, Galentines Day has been an ever popular day of celebration of the ladies in our life. Ten years of women finally having a day to specifically celebrate their beautiful friendships with their girls and treat themselves to a special day for it. A few great ways to celebrate the lovely ladies in your life involve getting brunch on Thursday and laughing over waffles at Perkins, or surprising your gal pals with candy or stuffed animals.

Here are a few fun ideas for ladies celebrating ladies this Galentines Day:

1. Chocolates

Nobody hates chocolates, especially around Valentines Day. Go to the store and pick up some delicious chocolates for your friends. Or better yet, get some strawberries and make some chocolate covered strawberries with your friends to go along with watching some Netflix and relax.

2. Fun and silly sunglasses

Need some fun content on your Instagram page? Run to Walmart and get you and your girls some heart shaped sunglasses and have a photo shoot of silliness.

3. Photoshoot Fun

As stated in the idea above, having a fun photoshoot with your friends is always fun. Why not do it for some holiday fun and likes online? Get your gals together and post some silly red, white and pink themed photos.

4. Brunch

Waffles are the best breakfast food on any regular day, but with your girls they always seem better. Take your ladies out to breakfast or brunch to create more memories and celebrate your friendship.