Keeping motivation is difficult but necessary

issue 3 cover

MADISON DIMMITT

Sometimes mustering up the motivation to attend classes and complete classwork can seem impossible  — especially on the cold, windy days that have been sweeping through campus. So, the question is: How does one stay motivated?

“Whenever I want to motivate myself during school, I usually think about what I want to achieve in life and remember that getting my degree is an important part of that. I think that staying focused on goals helps me realize why I’m where I am and keeps me motivated to succeed,” said Lauren May, an advertising and public relations student.

How does she do that? May suggests using a planner and jotting down reminders/to-dos for classes in one location. “I usually take an hour or so every weekend to gather all my things and fill out my planner for the week, and it really helps me see everything I have going on at once,” May said.

“The way I stay motivated for classes is that I think about how far I’ve come and how far there is still to go until I reach the end of my time here at UNK,” said Elizabeth Scherbarth, an international studies student.

There are many ways to keep motivated. One such way is to not procrastinate. Entirely. Sometimes the time constraints aids in higher motivation. However, it is important to avoid waiting too long, since the urgency to complete that homework assignment can become full-fledged panic. That panic dulls the ability to think, which can make completing the assignment even more difficult.

Another is to utilize resources here on campus, since they are available for a reason — students’ success. Perhaps trying the writing center or talking to a math tutor can make the material manageable.

Another suggestion, if the daily routine is beginning to feel monotonous, change something. This can be scenery, food, or starting a study group among friends (but being careful to remain on topic).

Reading a book (even just a few pages or something that has already been read) or working on some sort of other project that isn’t for anything but entertainment. Also think about avoiding streaming TV shows/movies while in the middle of a project. Why? Because (speaking from personal experience) the show or movie has a tendency to capture one’s attention, which can cause getting even further behind if one loses track of time.